If you’re in the middle of planning your next project, organizing your budget, and brainstorming a timeline, then finding the right contractor is probably at the front of your mind. Selecting the right person for the job means taking your time and doing research, which could be time-consuming and overwhelming for many homeowners and project planners. If you must choose a contractor, consider the following guidelines to help you locate the best one for your project:
Before you begin, outline your project’s requirements. Specifying your needs will help you narrow the options. After determining the type of contractor you need, ask friends, family, and anyone else you trust for recommendations. You can also consult local suppliers for suggestions about reputable contractors. If you can’t get any recommendations, use the internet to do a comprehensive search. Always make sure contractors have a professional website and look for relevant reviews and ratings on websites such as the Better Business Bureau to avoid scams.
MAKE SOME CALLS
While doing initial research, list at least 10 contractors you’d like to call with the goal of finding four or five to consult in person. When you make these phone calls, pay close attention to their tone of voice and how they answer your questions. First, consider whether the contractor seemed to act in a respectful, professional manner. Then try to discern if he or she shows genuine interest in your project and if he or she truly took the time to answer your questions.
ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS
Prepare a list of questions to ask while making your calls. Be sure to address the following during your conversations:
- When can they start the job? Being busy is a sign of a good contractor, so a quality contractor should have multiple projects lined up.
- Is he or she licensed? To be safe, make sure the contractor has a license and certifications.
- Is he or she willing to sign a contract if you work together?
- Does he or she have references you can contact to affirm quality?
- Does he or she have experience working on and completing projects like yours?
- Does he or she have insurance? Always ask for specifics, such as the type of coverage provided.
After you finish your phone calls, decide on four or five contractors you’d like to meet with and set up appointments with them.
When you meet with the CONTRACTORS you selected, make notes about the following:
- Can he or she provide proof of insurance and licenses?
- Can he or she provide you with a business address and phone number?
- Can he or she give you a quote? Always compare all contractors’ quotes to ensure accuracy and detect potential scammers.
- How do they typically receive payments, and are they open to adjusting payments according to your needs?
- Are they open to showing you pictures of past projects?
Once you’ve finished conducting in-person meetings, review your notes, seek advice as needed, and take your time making the final selection knowing you’ve done all you can to make the best choice available. Here at Vezina Industries, we are committed to providing our customers with the very best products and services. We have earned an A+ rating with the BBB and we have over 300 5 star google reviews. We are so confident in the quality we provide, we offer one of the best warranties in the industry. Call today, to sign up for a FREE ESTIMATE.